Monday, December 07, 2009

Philippians - Part 2

In the first few verses, Paul introduces himself and gives a few quick thoughts about the church to which he is writing.

“I always pray with joy in my every prayer for all of you because of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now.” (1:4,5)

What was their participation? They had sent a financial gift, but it was the first one they had been able to send for quite some time, so participation “from the first day until now” doesn’t seem to fit. Their participation was so great that Paul viewed them as partners.

“I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel all of you became partners in God's grace together with me.” (1:7)

So…. First discussion question… what form(s) did their participation and partnership take?

Answers:
They prayed for him. (not stated, but assumed)
They loved and him. (1:16)
They suffered for Christ like he did. (1:29,30)
They served on Christ’s agenda, not their own, like he did. (2:4,12)

No comments: