Monday, February 08, 2010

The Rev.

You can call me “the Rev.” or “Revdoc” but I’d prefer “Steve.” My church held a wonderful ordination service for me yesterday. It was a wonderful blessing to hear people affirm qualities of God’s Spirit in me, but it was also a little uncomfortable sometimes. Those same people know many of my shortcomings, but were gracious not to focus on them.


I wanted to read this poem sent by a former student, but I couldn’t find it in time. The author is anonymous, so I didn’t feel bad editing it a bit to suit me.


When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"
I'm saying, "I was lost! That's why I desperately need saved."

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I don't speak with pride in myself
I'm confessing that I stumble, and need a great God to be my guide.

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I'm not claiming to be strong,
I'm admitting that I'm weak and pray for strength.

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot pay the debt I owe.

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I don't think I know it all.
I know I’m confused and I need to be taught.

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I'm not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are far too visible, but God is perfect and He believes He can do something with me

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I do not wish to judge someone else
I recognize that the judge loves me.

No comments: