Saturday, April 02, 2011

The faith that saves


I used to think about Faith that saves and wonder what that Faith had to contain.  Is it possible to have saving Faith and not believe in a virgin birth?  Is it possible to have a saving Faith and not be certain the resurrection actually occurred?  Is it possible to have a saving Faith and believe that not all of the 66 books in the Bible are inspired?

Those discussions were always interesting in Seminary and Bible College.  But I’ve finally decided what should have been obvious.  They completely miss the point. 

I’ve come to think that saving Faith has a whole lot less to do with what facts I believe are true, and a whole lot more to do with how it changes me.  Faith that produces no change in me is not saving Faith.  Faith that saves is faith that changes.  What I do because of faith is the evidence that I’m His.  Faith that creates action is the evidence of things that are otherwise unseen… like the virgin birth, the resurrection, the inspiration of scripture, and personal salvation.
(James 2)

No comments: