Monday, July 07, 2008

Dying to Self – one time and many times

This is why the Father loves me — because I lay down my life, so that
I may take it back again. – Jesus (John 10:17 )

In one sense a decision made once, but in another sense it’s a decision that must be made moment-by-moment.

Keep thinking about things above, not things on the earth, for you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ (who is your life) appears, then you too will be revealed in glory with him. So put to death whatever in your nature belongs to the earth: (Col 3:2-5) Emphasis added

There is no sense in saying “you have died” and “put to death” unless it is made once, and then over and over again.

If I decided at youth camp to die to self, in an eternal sense it’s done. My life is "hidden with Christ in God. " I will inherit with Christ all the glories of heaven. But in another sense, it’s just the first of many. In terms of practical Christian living, we must decide to die to self on a moment by moment basis.

The choice must be made every moment. Like this one.

No comments: